Who We Are:
Southeast Volusia Habitat for Humanity partners with people in our community, and all over the world, to help them build or improve a place they can call home. SEV Habitat for Humanity homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. With your support, SEV Habitat for Humanity homeowners achieve the strength, stability, and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and for their families. We also support those in our community with our Critical Care Repair & A Brush with Kindness programs.
What We Offer:
This position is a full-time position with benefits for the right person after their initial training period.
- Full-time Benefits after 90-day period Include:
- 10% discount at the NSB ReStore
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- IRA with 2% matching
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Days
- Personal Days
- Vacation Days
Your Typical Day:
- Arrive prepared to the construction site within our New Smyrna Beach, Edgewater & Oak Hill areas.
- Assist in training volunteers & partner families about construction tasks and appropriate safety measures.
- Use carpentry skills to help build a safe, energy efficient, affordable home for a deserving family in need.
Role and Responsibilities
This position assists the Construction Manager in all aspects of construction activity and volunteer management.
- Performs all hands-on construction tasks as directed by the Construction Manager.
- “Fixes” any construction task performed below acceptable standards by volunteers.
- Suggests potential advantageous building practices and material cost savings opportunities to construction manager as identified.
- Assists in the supervision of all site preparation and layout.
- Assists in the supervision of job sites on each designated workday and works to ensure construction is accomplished in accordance with approved permits and plans.
- Assists in training volunteers & partner families about construction tasks/ appropriate safety measures.
- Performs all homeowner warranty complaints and repairs.
- Volunteers and Partner Families
- Assists in the training of volunteers and volunteer leaders.
- Treats Partner Families and volunteers with respect and dignity. Strives to make their construction involvement meaningful.
- Understands elements that contribute to successful volunteers and helps ensure that volunteers have a consistently positive, encouraging environment thus motivating them to return.
- Ensures that communications to volunteers and partner families are respectful, accurate and timely.
- Assists in identifyingneeds not currently filled and satisfies needs with appropriate volunteers.
- Assists in the training of all volunteers utilizing knowledge from leaders and other construction staff.
3. Other Duties as Assigned by the Construction Manager
- Required Skills / Experience / Physical Requirements
- Knowledge and experience in residential construction, especially as a carpenter or framer.
- Team building a real plus.
- Should have a Christ-centered approach to leadership.
- Must be a good listener and be able to engage in well-considered discussions.
- Must be willing to understand the big picture of the SEV Habitat for Humanity ministry/ mission and know that construction is only a part of the larger goal.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds. Work will require climbing ladders, considerable standing, bending, kneeling, and reaching in awkward / tiring positions.
- Ability to safely use power tools.
- Willing to work outside in all of the Florida elements year round.
- Must pass Criminal Background Check and Sexual Offender Check